Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Ahhh the good ol’ days….

For the past…year or so, I’ve been going on a little nostalgia trip, as in looking back at the things that were around during when I was still very young such as songs, movies, TV shows, etc. Eventually I went all the way back until I was around 4 to 8 years old living in China. It was then that I realized how much I miss those days. Now all that is very understandable but what I’m about to say next might not be…cause the thing is, when I was living in China, my family was…not exactly top middle class leveled…like we were sort poor. My parents and I used to live in a shaggy little apartment, floors were made of granite and other rocks…our stoves used gas instead of electricity, and our toilet was the squat toilets, not the ones that you can sit down on. We didn’t have to struggle for our life to get by every day but it wasn’t that easy as well. The reason why I miss those days was because, believe it or not, the less things that you have in life, makes life itself so much more sweeter and meaningful.

As a kid, I didn’t have an N64, SNES, and all the fancy things that turns people into couch potatoes. The best things that I got were Ultraman action figures that my friends gave me because they didn’t want to play with it anymore, some toy cars, and…well…my childish imaginations...and a TV. However, I cherished all that. I didn’t care about the fact that I didn’t have a game system, because I didn’t know what a game system was, I didn’t know any better. When I used to walk around a toy store, I wanted to buy so many things so badly. However I knew that I couldn’t have them because of my conditions. That’s why as a child I never spazzed or cried out loud in public cause my parents won’t buy me something. If I wanted to get something, like a typical Asian kid, I had to work hard for it. I had to get 100% on my language test or something along the lines of that just to get a toy that costs 14 - 50RMB (divide that by 6 or 7 and that’s roughly how much it is in Canadian/US dollars). I guess it was my parents’ way of teaching me that everything in life comes at a price. However I didn’t feel that it was unfair that my parents made me do this, because in the end, I was happy to get my toy and I felt good about it because I worked hard to earn it. Also, since we didn’t have machines to do house chores for us, I had to do the dishes while my mom cleans the kitchen, and I had to do my own laundry BY HAND with those primitive scrubbing boards =.=

Basically my point is that there will always be people in this world that has it worse than you or me…that’s why I see myself as a spoiled brat now…but really, I do miss those days now, life was so much more sweeter…I lived more than I did now, people saw me as a lively happy child. Now I think people see me as an Asian kid who has no life, sits at home and does music. It’s true, I don’t have much of a life compared to when I was a kid. I used to go outside every day to explore and learn about the world and to enjoy the outside. Now, since there’s nothing outside besides the cold weather, I mostly stay at home and do whatever…how I want to once again smell the fresh aroma of spring and summer, feel the warm weather and the relaxing breeze for longer than 4 months, and not having to endure 8-9 months of harsh winter. Most importantly I want to be a kid again, not having to worry about a thing…that’s what I want again…but then again, I’m not a kid anymore so I can’t get whatever I want now…

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. [sorry for the annoying "comment deleted" thing, I'm not used to blogspot xD]

    Hmm I agree on the spoiled thingy and how life is better at that younger age. Oh and I'm not saying I think you're spoiled or anything like that xD

    But I do think that in general, when we're young (or the kids born at least in the early 90s) we tended to be more active and happy cause those were the days when gaming wasn't that widespread or at least as much as it is now, and computers weren't so common that we could park ourselves in front of them 24/7. Life was just much more simpler back then and much more respectable, in my opinion. It makes you more grateful when you don't have much. Most of us are a little more spoiled than we were back then (I could be wrong, who knows) but I am still grateful for everything I have like my friends and free education (college for free, whoots).

    Woah sorry for the essay XDD haha I just don't know how to shut up. If only my papers were this easy.

    [GAH I couldn't use anything else other than my google account T_T I do have a wordpress thingy, but it's my own site, not like a wp blog gawrs.....]


    ashiiya >> ashiiya.empty-dialogue.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahhaa yeah i remember having to work for my toys and such. But i found a flaw in that system. As i got older i wanted more and more things and it was given to me as long as i had good marks, now i feel like i have reached a point where i don't have the big urge to want something anymore. Most of what i had wanted was awarded to me, as i got older the disappointment of the rewards continue to grow bigger. Now im just at a loss about life in general...

    ReplyDelete