Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Ibanez GIO Soundgear GSR206 Bass Review



Here's the new 6-string beast that I bought recently that you've probably seen in my "Hard Rock Gee" video.

About:
I was never much of a bass player. However, since I need to do recordings and I didn't want to use computer generated bass, I decided to get an ACTUAL bass. This 6-string bass is an absolute BEAST! Because it's 6 strings, the neck is HUGE and navigating around it is a whole new challenge from playing guitar. I enjoy playing this bass. It might be a challenge to play, but it sure is fun during practice sessions! Also, this bass despite being a 6-strings set me back $360 which I think is a very reasonable price.

.:Technical Specs (Click to View):.

Personal Views:

One of my main criteria for picking an instrument is its versatility in different genres. This bass, I can honestly say can fit in with pretty much any style and genre. The diversity in tone can be rich, it can be crisp, it can be powerful. Also, because it's a 6-string, it has a lot of diversity in its range of notes available.

Design:
I was a bit disappointed that this guitar only came in black. Since my Ibanez RG370DX Electric Guitar was already black so I wanted a bit of diversity (all about the no racial LOL). HOWEVER, with that being said, I still like the glossy finish AND I especially like the chrome hardware installed on it.

Sound:
As I've said, this bass has a great diversity in tone. It also has something called a boom switch, and if you ever listen to the band KoRn, it gives that hard rock heavy crunchy sound when you go give the strings a hard pluck. Sliding up and down the bass is smooth, it can also gives a pretty good thick sound for those pop/jazz songs.

Playing Comfort:
The neck, as I've said is HUGE! So playing this thing isn't exactly easy. However, the neck is still smooth and pretty fast. The one thing I like about the way that this plays is that it improves my guitar technique. Because of the fact that the neck is so big, switching from this bass to my guitar makes my guitar feel SO much more tiny and so much easier to play.

Complaints:
There are a few drawbacks to this bass. One being the fact that there is an annual running cost to this bass. Why you ask? Because the pickups require a 9V battery to use. However, the man who sold this to me said that I would only need to change the batteries around once every 6 months or so. An upside to that is that the battery will only start to use power when you plug your patch cord in, so if you're doing silent practice, you're fine.

Overall Impression:
It's a great bass, harder to play than a 4-string but definitely MUCH more fun. Sound is great and it feels fantastic! Plus it scares people hahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment